You are here:

Graduate Financial Aid

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Financial Aid is available from the Department of Anthropology and the University Financial Aid Office. Most departmental stipends also carry a full or partial tuition waiver. Both departmental and non-departmental sources of financial aid are described below.

Teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and departmental and college scholarships are awarded through the Anthropology Department. General University sources of financial aid (loans, work study, etc.) and related information (tuition, residency, etc.) are available from the University Financial Aid Office.

Continuing students

Continuing students must apply each year for departmental funding and teaching opportunities using the Graduate Student Funding Form. Letters of recommendation are not required.

Graduate Student Funding (Example): This form is an example of the Google Doc which opens every winter for two-weeks. An email will be sent to every graduate student with the exact dates when the form is open for requests. All continuing students will indicate previous support, qualifications (which will be considered in allocating funding) current availability and preferences. Students interested in Teaching Assistant (TA) or teaching positions must submit their request via the Google Doc as well (this includes summer teaching). 

Sources of Financial Aid

Teaching assistantships (TA) are awarded on a competitive basis. TA stipends are $8,000 per semester for the 2017-2018 academic year and they come with a tuition waiver. The tuition waiver (called the Tuition Benefit Program, or TBP) has restrictions on registration and numbers of semesters it may be received. If you did not receive assistance during your first year, you are encouraged to apply again.

Prospective students who submit a departmental financial aid application are automatically considered for a teaching assistantship. Matriculated students, including those who currently hold financial aid, must apply for these awards by February 1 of each year. They will not be automatically awarded or renewed.

Financial aid may be withdrawn from awardees under the following conditions: a) failure to maintain required minimum grades, b) failure to adequately fulfill work obligations, c) failure to make adequate progress toward a degree. In cases where a teaching assistant resigns, leaves the program, or fails to meet academic or work obligations, the Department Chair and Graduate Advisor will select a replacement.

Research Assistantships (RA) are available as a result of grants awarded to the department faculty, and are available by arrangement with the faculty member in question. RA awards are determined by the faculty member. Research assistantships may include a tuition waiver.

Hiatt Scholarships: The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences offers four Hiatt Scholarships to "traditionally under-represented" graduate students. These are awarded to students who will "enhance the ethnic and cultural diversity of the graduate student body." Applications require transcripts plus a letter from the student describing past academic performance, need, community service activities, and future career plans. Students must be nominated for this award. If you think you might qualify and would like to be considered for this award, please contact the Administrative Officer.

Anderson Fellowships: are offered through the Department of Anthropology on an occasional basis. Students who submit a departmental financial aid application are automatically considered for this award.

Scholarship Name: Robert Anderson Endowed Fellowship in Cultural Anthropology
Available to: A graduate student in Cultural Anthropology.
Application Materials: Letter of support from applicants committee chair, and synopsis of current research/dissertation project.
Selection Criteria: Merit, awarded at the discretion of the selection committee.
Amount of Award: Typically $7,250
Number of Awards:
Donor: John T. Anderson and the Anderson Family in memory of Robert Anderson.


College of Social and Behavioral Science scholarships also help to support at least one Anthropology graduate student each year. Students who submit a departmental financial aid application are automatically considered for this award.

Other Pre-Dissertation Fellowships: Other sources of funds are available from external sources, and include the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships . These NSF fellowships provide three years of support to graduate students and prospective graduate students in a variety of fields, including anthropology. They are for students in the early stages of their graduate career.

Dissertation Research Awards

University Research Fellowships: The University offers several fellowships to support graduate research. These include:

  • Graduate Research Fellowships ($18,000 plus tuition) for research in any field. For additional details and deadlines see the Graduate School website.

  • Marriner S. Eccles Graduate Fellowship ($18,250 plus tuition) for research on politics, public policy, the economy, and more. For additional details and deadlines see the Graduate School website.

External Research Grants: Graduate students are also encouraged to seek dissertation funding from external sources. The chief sources of dissertation support are the NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grants in Biological Anthropology, Cultural Anthropology and Archaeology, but funds are also available through Wenner-Gren Foundation Dissertation fieldwork grants, the Social Science Research Council, Fulbright-Hays doctoral dissertation awards, and the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation.

Travel Funding: Funding is available for travel to conferences, especially if you are presenting a paper or poster. There is usually a better chance of obtaining funding if you request it early in the academic year. Often, travel funds are exhausted by March or April.  There are two main sources of travel funding: the ASUU, via the SAC chair, and through the Graduate School.

ASUU Funding: To request travel funds from ASUU, you should ask the Anthropology Grad SAC Chair for the current template for drafting a bill to present to the ASUU Senate. You will need the following information: The name of conference attending, location, reason for attending (You need to state something about how attending will benefit you and the department), and an itemized list of anticipated expenses including hotel, airfare, registration fees, etc. Information about funding and funding limits are available.

Once you draft your bill, you will forward it to the current CSBS Senator, who will confirm all the information is correct.  You then must attend the Senate meeting at which your bill is being considered (Your senator will tell you the date). You will need to give a two minute explanation, in front of the senate, why you are requesting funds.

Once your bill is approved you will need to sign a travel waiver in the ASUU office, located in the Student Union Building. Once you have been approved for travel funding, please see Kyla Welch to obtain a travel trip registration number before making your travel arrangements.  ASUU will need the travel registration number before any reimbursement is given. Save all itemized receipts and bring them to Kylafor reimbursement.

Graduate School Funding: Travel funds are also available through the Department and the Graduate School. The maximum you can receive is up to $500 from the Graduate School, which will be matched by the department. Student travel assistance funding can reimburse; airfare/car mileage, ground transportation fares, lodging, abstract fees, and conference registration fees. The assistance will not reimburse; meals, per diem, society memberships, and poster preparation fees.

Graduate School funds can help cover the other 50% not covered by ASUU. Information about graduate student travel funding and to access the application form can be found.

Last Updated: 2/1/18