The Evolutionary Journal Club (Anthro 6498) meets weekly to discuss articles from literature.
This semester we're meeting Fridays at 12:00pm in the Stewart Building seminar room ST 103B.
Readings from earlier semesters have been removed from the published page, but are still in the joomla database and can be accessed by anyone with the appropriate password to edit this website. A list of old journal club readings is available as a pdf.
- Bădescu I, Watts DP, Katzenberg MA, Sellen DW. 2016. Alloparenting is associated with reduced maternal lactation effort and faster weaning in wild chimpanzees. Royal Society Open Science 3(11):160577.
- Gavrilets S, Auerbach J, Van Vugt M. 2016. Convergence to consensus in heterogeneous groups and the emergence of informal leadership. Scientific Reports 6.
- Page AE, Viguier S, Dyble M, Smith D, Chaudhary N, Salali GD, Thompson J, Vinicius L, Mace R, Migliano AB. 2016. Reproductive trade-offs in extant hunter-gatherers suggest adaptive mechanism for the Neolithic expansion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113(17):4694-9.
- Marcinkowska UM, Ellison PT, Galbarczyk A, Milkowska K, Pawlowski B, Thune I, Jasienska G. 2016. Lack of support for relation between woman's masculinity preference, estradiol level and mating context. Hormones and behavior 78:1-7.
- Schuppli C, Graber SM, Isler K, van Schaik CP. 2016. Life history, cognition and the evolution of complex foraging niches. Journal of human evolution 92:91-100.
Goldstone, L. G., Sommer, V., Nurmi, N., Stephens, C. R., & Fruth, B. (2016). Food begging and sharing in wild bonobos (Pan paniscus): Assessing relationship quality? Primates, 57(3), 367-376.
- Foerster S, Zhong Y, Pintea L, Murray CM, Wilson ML, Mjungu DC, Pusey AE. 2016. Feeding habitat quality and behavioral trade-offs in chimpanzees: a case for species distribution models. Behavioral Ecology. 2016 31:arw004.
Croft DP, Johnstone RA, Ellis S, Nattrass S, Franks DW, Brent LJ, Mazzi S, Balcomb C, Ford JK, Cant MA. 2017. Reproductive conflict and the evolution of menopause in killer whales. Current Biology
- Wright BM, Stredulinsky EH, Ellis GM, Ford JK. 2016. Kin-directed food sharing promotes lifetime natal philopatry of both sexes in a population of fish-eating killer whales, Orcinus orca. Animal Behaviour 115:81-95.
Isakov A, Holcomb A, Glowacki L, Christakis NA. 2016. Modeling the role of networks and individual differences in inter-group violence. PloS one 11(2):e0148314.
Bădescu I, Katzenberg MA, Watts DP, Sellen DW. 2016. A novel fecal stable isotope approach to determine the timing of age‐related feeding transitions in wild infant chimpanzees. Am J Phys Anthropol. on line Oct 21. doi: 10.1002/ajpa.23116.
- Willems EP, Arseneau TJ, Schleuning X, van Schaik CP. 2015. Communal range defence in primates as a public goods dilemma. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 370(1683):20150003.
- Gruber T, Clay Z. 2016. A Comparison Between Bonobos and Chimpanzees: A Review and Update. Evolutionary Anthropology:Issues, News, and Reviews25(5):239-52.
- Quach et al. (2016). Genetic adaptation and Neanderthal admixture shaped the immune system of human populations. Cell
Schnegg M. 2016. Collective Foods: Situating Food on the Continuum of Private-Common Property Regimes. Current Anthropology 57(5):683-689.
- Lehtonen J, Parker GA, Schärer L, 2016. Why anisogamy drives ancestral sex roles. Evolution 70(5):1129–1135.
- McAuliffe K, Wrangham R, Glowacki L, Russell AF. 2015. When cooperation begets cooperation: the role of key individuals in galvanizing support. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 370(1683):20150012.
- Tokuyama N, Furuichi T. 2016. Do friends help each other? Patterns of female coalition formation in wild bonobos at Wamba. Animal Behaviour 119:27-35.
- von Rueden CR, Jaeggi AV. 2016. Men’s status and reproductive success in 33 nonindustrial societies: Effects of subsistence, marriage system, and reproductive strategy. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Sep 6:201606800.
- Gowlett JA. 2016. The discovery of fire by humans: a long and convoluted process. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 371(1696):20150164.
- Finlay, B.L and Syal, S. (2014) The pain of altruism. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 18: 615-617.
- Finlay, B.L. and Uchiyama, R. (2015) Developmental mechanisms channeling cortical evolution. Trends in Neurosciences 38:69-76.
- Gilby IC, Machanda ZP, Mjungu DC, Rosen J, Muller MN, Pusey AE, Wrangham RW. 2015. ‘Impact hunters’ catalyse cooperative hunting in two wild chimpanzee communities. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 370(1683):20150005.
Carmody RN, Dannemann M, Briggs AW, Nickel B, Groopman EE, Wrangham RW, Kelso J. 2016. Genetic evidence of human adaptation to a cooked diet. Genome Biology and Evolution. Advance Access published March 14, 2016 doi:10.1093/gbe/evw059
Colleran H. 2016 The cultural evolution of fertility decline. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 371 : 20150152.
- Fromhage L, Jennions M, Koko H. 2016. The evolution of sex roles in mate searching. Evolution 70-3: 617-624.
Puts, DA. 2016. Human sexual selection. Current Opinion in Psychology 7:28-32.
Sellayah D, Cagampang FR, Cox RD. 2014. On the evolutionary origins of obesity: a new hypothesis. Endocrinology155(5):1573-88.
- Sear, R; (2016) Beyond the nuclear family: an evolutionary perspective on parenting. Current Opinion in Psychology, 7. pp. 98-103. ISSN 2352-250X DOI: 10.1016/j.copsyc.2015.08.013
Berbesque JC, Wood BM, Crittenden AN, Mabulla A, & Marlowe F. 2016. Eat first, share later: Hadza Hunter-gatherer men consume more while foraging than in central places. Evolution and Human Behavior. doi:10.1016/j.evolhumbehav.2016.01.003
- Bshary R, Zuberbühler K, van Schaik CP. 2016. Why mutual helping in most natural systems is neither conflict-free nor based on maximal conflict. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 371(1687):20150091.
- Lewis HM, Vinicius L, Strods J, Mace R, Migliano AB. High mobility explains demand sharing and enforced cooperation in egalitarian hunter-gatherers. Nature communications. 2014 Dec 16;5.
- Shenk MK, Starkweather K, Kress, HC, & Alam N. 2013. Does Absence Matter? A Comparison of Three Types of Father Absence in Rural Bangladesh. Hum Nat 24(1): 76-110.
- Dyble M, Salali GD, Chaudhary N, Page A, Smith D, Thompson J, Vinicius L, Mace R, Migliano AB. 2015. Sex equality can explain the unique social structure of hunter-gatherer bands. Science 348(6236): 796-798.
- Warneken, F. and Rosati, A.G. 2015. Cognitive capacities for cooking in chimpanzees. Proc. R. Soc. B 282: 20150229.
Beran MJ, Hopper LM, de Waal FBM, Sayers K, and Brosnan SF. 2015. Chimpanzee food preferences, associative learning, and the origins of cooking. Learn Behav (published online: 10 December 2015).
- Young , SM, Benyshek, DC, and Lienard, P (2012). The Conspicuous Absence of Placenta Consumption in Human Postpartum Females: The Fire Hypothesis. Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 51:3, 198-217
- Kramer, K.L., & Otarola-Castillo, E. (2015). When Mothers Need Others: The impact of hominin life history evolution on cooperative breeding. Journal of Human Evolution (84):16-24.
O'Malley, R. C., Stanton, M. A., Gilby, I. C., Lonsdorf, E. V., Pusey, A., Markham, A. C., & Murray, C. M. (2016). Reproductive state and rank influence patterns of meat consumption in wild female chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii). Journal of Human Evolution, 90, 16-28.
- Attwell, Kovarovic, & Kendall (2015). Fire in the Plio-Pleistocene: the functions of hominin fire use, and the mechanistic, developmental, and evolutionary cosequences. Journal of Anthropological Sciences 93:1-20.
- Dixson and Rantala (2015). The role of facial and body hair distribution in women's judgments of men's sexual attractiveness. Archives of Sexual Behavior.
- Ellsworth, Shenk, Bailey, & Walker (2015). Comparative study of reproductive skew and pair-bond stability using genealogies from 80 small-scale human societies. American Journal of Human Biology.
- Macfarlan & Lyle. 2015. Multiple reputation domains and cooperative behaviour in two Latin American communities. Phil Trans R Soc B, http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2015.0009.
- dos Santos and Wedekind. 2015. Reputation based on punishment rather than generosity allows for evolution of cooperation in sizable groups. Evolution and Human Behavior, 36(1): 59--64.
- Berger et al. 2015. Homo naledi, a new species of Homo from the Dinaledi Chamber, South Africa. eLife;4:e09560.
- Zihlman & Bolter. 2015. Body composition in Pan paniscus compared with Homo sapiens has implications for changes during human evolution. PNAS, 112(24): 7466-7471.
- Hardy et al. 2015. The Importance of Dietary Carbohydrate in Human Evolution. The Quarterly Review of Biology, 90(3): 251-268.
Perry G, Daly M, Mcfarlan S. 2014. Maternal foster families provide more stable placements than paternal families. Children & Youth Services Review, 46: 155-159.
Hannes R, Leunissen JM, van Vugt M 2015. Historical and experimental evidence of sexual selection for war heroism. Evol Hum Beh 36: 367–373.
- Emery Thompson, M et al. 2014. Male chimpanzees compromise the foraging success of their mates in Kibale National Park, Uganda. Behav Ecol Sociobiol, 68: 1973-1983.
- Janmaat et al. 2014. Wild chimpanzees plan their breakfast time, type, and location. PNAS, 46: 16343-16348.
- Biernaskie, Grafen, & Perry. 2014. The evolution of index signals to avoid the cost of dishonesty. Proc. R. Soc. B 281: 20140876 pdf
- Apicella, CL. 2014.Upper-body strength predicts hunting reputation and reproductive success in Hadza hunter–gatherers. Evolution & Human Behavior, 35: 508-518.
- Ragonnet-Cronin M, et al. 2012. Adaptive Evolution of HIV at HLA Epitopes Is Associated with Ethnicity in Canada. PLoS ONE 7(5): e36933. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0036933
- Zink et al. 2014. Food material properties and early hominin processing techniques. Journal of Human Evolution, 77: 155-166.
- Gilby et al. 2013. Ecology rather than psychology explains co-occurrence of predation and border patrols in male chimpanzees. Animal Behaviour, 8: 61-74.
- Gillespie-Lynch et al. Gestural and symbolic development among apes and humans: support for a multimodal theory of language evolution. Frontiers in Psychology, 5: 1228. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2014.01228.
- Lyle III, HF & Smith EA. 2014 The Reputational and social network benefits of pro sociality in an Andean community. PNAS, 111(13): 4820--4825.
- Schnorr S, et al. 2014. Gut microbiome of the Hadza hunter-gatherers. Nature Communications
| 5:3654 | DOI: 10.1038/ncomms4654 |
- Higham T et al. 2015. The timing and spatiotemporal patterning of Neanderthal disappearance. Nature, 512: 306-309
- Schacht R, Borgerhoff Mulder M. 2015 Sex ratio effects on reproductive strategies
in humans. R. Soc. open sci. 2: 140402.
- Pradhan GR, Pandid SA & van Schaik 2014 Why do Chimpanzee Males Attack the Females of Neighboring Communities? Am J Phys Anthropol 155:430–435.
- Fairbanks LA et al. 2012 Maternal and offspring dopamine D4 receptor genotypes interact to influence juvenil impulsivity in vervet monkeys. Psychological Science 23(10): 1199-1104.
- Shimelmitz, R., Kuhn, S. L., Jelinek, A. J., Ronen, A., Clark, A. E., & Weinstein-Evron, M. 2014. 'Fire at will': The emergence of habitual fire use 350,000 years ago. Journal of Human Evolution. DOI:10.1016/J.JHEVOL.2014.07.005.
- Thanksgiving Break
- Scott et al. 2014. Human preferences for sexually dimorphic faces may be evolutionarily novel Proc Nat Acad Sci 111 (40):14388–14393.
- Wilson, ML et al. 2014 Lethal aggression in Pan is better explained by adaptive strategies than human impacts. Nature 513 doi:10.1038/nature13727.
- Macfarlan, Shane J. , Robert S. Walker, Mark V. Flinn, and Napoleon A. Chagnon. 2014. Lethal coalitionary aggression & long-term alliance formation among Yanomamo men. Proc Nat Acad Sci www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1418639111.
- Krief S, Cibot M, Bortolamiol S, Seguya A, Krief J-M, et al. (2014) Wild Chimpanzees on the Edge: Nocturnal Activities in Croplands. PLoS ONE 9(10): e109925. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0109925
- Shona Duguid, Emily Wyman, Anke F. Bullinger, Katharina Herfurth-Majstorovic & Michael Tomasello 2014 Coordination strategies of chimpanzees and human children in a Stag Hunt game Coordination Proc. R. Soc. B: 281, 20141973, published 15 October 2014
- Term Break
- Patzelt et al. 2014. Male tolerance and male-male bonds in a multilevel society. Proc Nat Acad Sci www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1405811111
- Harts AM & H Kokko 2013 Understanding promiscuity: when is seeking additional mates better than guarding an already found one? Evolution 67-10:2838-2848.
- Amici et al. 2014. Lack of prosociality in great apes, capuchin monkeys and spider monkeys: convergent evidence from two different food distribution tasks. Proc. R Soc. B 281: 20141699.
- Bell et al. 2013. Who was helping? The scope for female cooperative breeding in early Homo. PLoS ONE 8(12): e83667. doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0083667.
- Gavrilets, S. 2012. Human origins and the transition from promiscuity to pair-bonding. PNAS, 109 (25). 9923-9928.
- Eriksson et al. 2012. Late Pleistocene climate change and the global expansion of anatomically modern humans. PNAS 109(40): 16089-16094
Powers, S. T., & Lehmann, L. (2013). The co‐evolution of social institutions, demography, and large‐scale human cooperation. Ecology letters, 16(11), 1356-1364.
Widdig, A. (2013). The Impact of male reproductive skew on kin structure and sociality in multi‐male groups. Evolutionary Anthropology: Issues, News, and Reviews, 22(5), 239-250.
van Oven, M., Brauer, S., Choi, Y., Ensing, J., Schiefenhövel, W., Stoneking, M., & Kayser, M. (2014). Human genetics of the Kula Ring: Y-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA variation in the Massim of Papua New Guinea. European Journal of Human Genetics.
Danish, L. M., & Palombit, R. A. “Following,” an Alternative Mating Strategy Used by Male Olive Baboons (Papio hamadryas anubis): Quantitative Behavioral and Functional Description. International Journal of Primatology, 1-17. Available online February 2014.
- Term Break
- Hiatus for NWEEB
Glikson, A. (2014). Fire and Human Evolution: The deep-time blueprints of the Anthropocene. Anthropocene. In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 23 February 2014.
In lieu of our regular journal club meeting this week (2/21), the department will be streaming the CARTA symposium "Birth to Grandmotherhood: Childrearing in Human Evolution" from UCSD. Live stream of the event will begin at 2:00 PM (MST) so we'll plan to meet at that time. Please join us in the seminar room to watch and discuss. Stay for the entire series, or just attend the talks that interest you.
Abstracts and schedule can be found at: http://carta.anthropogeny.org/events/from-birth-grandmotherhood-childrearing-human-evolution
Pontzer, H., Raichlen, D. A., Gordon, A. D., Schroepfer-Walker, K. K., Hare, B., O’Neill, M. C., ... & Ross, S. R. (2014). Primate energy expenditure and life history. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(4), 1433-1437.
Swedell, L., & Plummer, T. (2012). A papionin multilevel society as a model for hominin social evolution. International Journal of Primatology, 33(5), 1165-1193.
Rodseth, L. (2012). From bachelor threat to fraternal security: Male associations and modular organization in human societies. International Journal of Primatology, 33(5), 1194-1214.
Grueter, C. C., Chapais, B., & Zinner, D. (2012). Evolution of multilevel social systems in nonhuman primates and humans. International Journal of Primatology, 33(5), 1002-1037.
Pusey, A. E., & Schroepfer-Walker, K. (2013). Female competition in chimpanzees. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 368(1631), 20130077.
- Meyer, M., Fu, Q., Aximu-Petri, A., Glocke, I., Nickel, B., Arsuaga, J. L., ... & Pääbo, S. (2013). A mitochondrial genome sequence of a hominin from Sima de los Huesos. Nature. doi:10.1038/nature12788
- Glowacki, L., & Wrangham, R. W. (2013). The Role of Rewards in Motivating Participation in Simple Warfare. Human Nature, 24(4), 444-460.
- Thanksgiving Break
Klein, R. G., & Steele, T. E. (2013). Archaeological shellfish size and later human evolution in Africa. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Langergraber, K. E., Prüfer, K., Rowney, C., Boesch, C., Crockford, C., Fawcett, K.,
... & Vigilant, L. (2012). Generation times in wild chimpanzees and gorillas suggest
earlier divergence times in great ape and human evolution. Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences, 109(39), 15716-15721.
- Green, R. E., & Shapiro, B. (2013). Human Evolution: Turning Back the Clock. Current Biology, 23(7), R286-R288.
Prado-Martinez, J., Sudmant, P. H., Kidd, J. M., Li, H., Kelley, J. L., Lorente-Galdos, B., ... & Comas, D. (2013). Great ape genetic diversity and population history. Nature, 499(7459), 471-475.
Lordkipanidze, D., de León, M. S. P., Margvelashvili, A., Rak, Y., Rightmire, G. P., Vekua, A., & Zollikofer, C. P. (2013). A Complete Skull from Dmanisi, Georgia, and the Evolutionary Biology of Early Homo. Science, 342(6156), 326-331.
Massen, J. J., & Koski, S. E. (2013). Chimps of a feather sit together: chimpanzee friendships are based on homophily in personality. Evolution and Human Behavior. Online early access http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.lib.utah.edu/10.1016/j.evolhumbehav.2013.08.008
- Fall Break
Wiessner, P., & Pupu, N. (2012). Toward peace: Foreign arms and indigenous institutions in a Papua New Guinea society. Science, 337(6102), 1651-1654.
Alberts, S. C., Altmann, J., Brockman, D. K., Cords, M., Fedigan, L. M., Pusey, A., ... & Bronikowski, A. M. (2013). Reproductive aging patterns in primates reveal that humans are distinct. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110(33), 13440-13445.
Langergraber, K. E., Mitani, J. C., Watts, D. P., & Vigilant, L. (2013). Male–female socio-spatial relationships and reproduction in wild chimpanzees. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 1-13.
Fry, D. P., & Söderberg, P. (2013). Lethal aggression in mobile forager bands and implications for the origins of war. Science, 341(6143), 270-273.
- Opie, C., Atkinson, Q. D., Dunbar, R. I., & Shultz, S. (2013). Male infanticide leads to social monogamy in primates. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110(33), 13328-1333
Prado-Martinez, J., Sudmant, P. H., Kidd, J. M., Li, H., Kelley, J. L., Lorente-Galdos, B., ... & Comas, D. (2013). Great ape genetic diversity and population history. Nature, 499(7459), 471-475.
- Hare, B, Wobber, V, and R Wrangham. 2012. The self-domestication hypothesis: Evolution of bonobo psychology is due to selection against aggression. Animal Behaviour. In Press.
- MacLean, EL, and B Hare. 2012. Bonobos and chimpanzees infer the target of another's
attention. Animal Behaviour 83: 345-353.
5 April "Conversations with Jim Allen"
- Lawrence, Peter. 1964. Don Juan in Melanesia. University of Queensland Press.
- Plavcan, JM. 2012. Body size, size variation, and sexual size dimorphism in early Homo. Curr. Anthr. 53(S6): S409-S423.
- Cameron, L, Erkal, N, Gangadharan, L, and X Meng. 2013. Little emperors: Behavioral impacts of China's one-child policy. Science 339(6122):953-957. doi:10.1126/science.1230221.
- Zhao, X, Ma, X, Yao, Y, Wan, C, and E Ng. 2013. China's little emperors show signs
of success. Science339(6122): 905-906. (Commentary)
- Reddy, V. 2007. Getting back to the rough ground: Deception and 'social living'. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B, Biological Sciences 362(1480): 621-637.
- Thompson, ME. 2013. Reproductive ecology of female chimpanzees. Am. J. Primatology 75(3): 222-237.
- Morgan, MH, and DR Carrier. 2013. Protective buttressing of the human fist and the evolution of hominin hands. J. Exper. Biology 216(2): 235-244.
- Gavrilets, S. 2012. Evolutionary origins of the egalitarian syndrome. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 109(35): 14069-14074.
- Lee-Thorp, J, Likius, A, Mackaye, HT, Vignaud, P, Sponheimer, M, and M Brunet. 2012. Isotopic evidence for an early shift to C4 resources by Pliocene hominins in Chad. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 109(50): 20369-20372.
- Rubenstein, DR. 2012. Family feuds: Social competition and sexual conflict in complex societies. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B Biological Sciences 367(1600): 2304-2313.
- Burger, O, Baudisch, A, and JW Vaupel. 2012. Human mortality improvement in evolutionary context. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 109(44): 18210-18214.
- Magill, CR, Ashley, GM, and KH Freeman. 2012. Ecosystem variability and early human habitats in eastern Africa. Natl. Acad. of Sci. (Early Edition).
- Marlowe, FW, and JC Berbesque. 2012. The human operational sex ratio: Effects of marriage, concealed ovulation, and menopause on mate competition. J. Hum. Evol.
- Zollman, KJ, Bergstrom, CT, and SM Huttegger. 2012. Between cheap and costly signals: the evolution of partially honest communication. Proc. R. Soc. B.
- Fortunato, L. 2012. The evolution of matrilineal kinship organization. Proc. R. Soc. B: Biological Sciences.
- Henn, BM, Cavalli-Sforza, LL, and MW Feldman. 2012. The Great Human Expansion. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 109(44): 17758-17764.
- Kong, A, et al. 2012. Rate of de novo mutations and the importance of father's age to disease risk. Nature 488: 471-475.
- Seyfarth, RM, Silk, JB and DL Cheney. 2012. Variation in personality and fitness in wild female baboons. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 109: 16980-16985.
- Archie, EA, Altmann, J, and SC Alberts. 2012. Social status predicts wound healing in wild baboons. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 109: 9017-9022.
- Rand, DG, Greene, JD and MA Nowak. 2012. Spontaneous giving and calculated greed. Nature 489: 427-430.
- Berna, F et al. 2012. Microstratigraphic evidence of in situ fire in the Acheulean strata of Wonderwerk Cave, Northern Cape province, South Africa. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 109: E1215-E1220.
- Eriksson, A, et al. 2012. Late Pleistocene climate change and the global expansion of anatomically modern humans. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1209494109.
- Thompson, ME, MN Muller, and RW Wrangham. 2012. The energetics of lactation and the return to fecundity in wild chimpanzees. Beh. Ecol. doi:10.1093/beheco/ars107.
- Isher, K and CP Van Schaik. 2012. Allomaternal care, life history and brain size evolution in mammals. J. Hum. Evol. 63: 52-63.
The following article will also be reviewed (briefly):
- Lukas, D and T Clutton-Brock. 2012. Life histories and the evolution of cooperative
breeding in mammals.Proc. R. Soc.B 279: 4065-4070.
- Ruxton GD and DM Wilkinson. 2012. Population trajectories for accidental versus planned colonisation of islands. J. Hum. Evol. 63(3): 507-511. PMID: 22748511 (Pub-Med in process).
- Hare B, Wobber V, Wrangham R 2012 The self-domestication hypothesis: evolution of bonobo psychology is due to selection against aggression. Animal Behaviour (in press), doi:10.1016/j.anbehav.2011.12.007
Codding BF, Bliege Bird R, Bird DW. 2011. Provisioning offspring and others: risk−energy trade-offs and gender differences in hunter −gatherer foraging strategies. Proc. R. Soc. B 278:2502-2509.
- Lieberman D & Lobel T. 2012. Kinship on the Kibbutz: coresidence duration predicts altruism, personal
sexual aversions and moral attitudes among communally reared peers. Evol Hum Beh 33 (2012) 26–34.
- ScallyA. et al. 2012. Insights into the gorilla genom. Nature 483:169-175.
- Wrangham RW, Glowacki L. 2012. Intergroup Aggression in Chimpanzees and War in Nomadic Hunter-Gatherers: Evaluating the Chimpanzee Model. Human Nature. published online 03 March 2012.
- Term Break
- Herndon JG, Paredes J, Wilson ME, Bloomsmith MA, Chennareddi L, Walker ML. 2011. Menopause occurs late in life in the captive chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes). AGE published online: 22 December 2011. DOI 10.1007/s11357-011-9351-0
- Laurent Abi-Rached, et al. 2011. The Shaping of Modern Human Immune Systems by Multiregional Admixture with Archaic Humans. Science 334:89-94.
- Apicella CL, Marlowe FW, Fowler JH, & Christakis NA. 2012. Social networks and cooperation in hunter-gatherers Nature 481:497-501.
- Scelza BA. 2011. Female Mobility and Postmarital Kin Access in a Patrilocal Society. Human Nature 22 (4): 377-393
- Shultz S, Opie C & Atkinson QD. 2011. Stepwise evolution of stable sociality in primates. Nature 479:219-224.
- Navarrete A, CP van Schaik, K Isler. 2012. Energetics and the evolution of human brain size. Nature 480:91-93.
- Sally Archibalda, A. Carla Staver, and Simon A. Levin. 2011. Evolution of human-driven fire regimes in Africa. PNAS 109 (3):847–852.
- Thompson JL & AJ Nelson. 2011. Middle Childhood and Modern Human Origins. Human Nature 22:249-280.
- Devlin, M. J. 2011. Estrogen, exercise, and the skeleton. Evolutionary Anthropology 20: 54–61.
- Thanksgiving Break
- David Reich, Nick Patterson, Martin Kircher et al. 2011. Denisova Admixture and the First Modern Human Dispersals into Southeast Asia and Oceania. 89(4):516-528.American Journal of Human Genetics
- Scelza, BA. 2010. Fathers' presence speeds the social and reproductive careers of sons. 51(2): 295-303.Current Anthropology
- Lyon JE, Pandit SA, van Schaik CP, Pradhan GR. 2011. Mating strategies in primates:
A game theoretical approach to infanticide. 274:103-108.Journal of Theoretical Biology
- Lewis M. ms. explanatory notes & corrections "When it pays to kill your kids."
- Hinde CA, Johnstone RA & Kilner RM. 2010. Parent-offspring conflict and coadaptation.
Science 327: 373–376.
- Kushnick G. 2009. Parental supply and offspring demand amongst Karo Batak mothers and children. J. Biosoc. Sci. 41:183–193.
- Emery Thompson M, MN Muller, SM Kahlenberg, and RW Wrangham. 2010. Dynamics of ecological and social stress in wild chimpanzees. Hormones and Behavior 58: 440-449.
- Term break
- Roebroeks, W. & Villa, P. 2011. On the earliest evidence for habitual use of fire
in Europe. PNAS 108: 5209–5214.
- Sandgathe DM, Dibble HL, Goldberg P, McPherron SP, Turq A, Niven L, Hodgkins J. 2011. Timing of the appearance of habitual fire use. PNAS 108(29): E298
- Kimberly A. Rosvall 2011. Intrasexual competition in females: evidence for sexual selection? Behav. Ecol. Advance Access doi:10.1093/beheco/arr106. Comments at http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/recent.
- Joan B. Silk and Bailey R. House. 2011. Evolutionary foundations of human prosocial
sentiments. PNAS. http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/06/16/1100305108.short
- Kivell TL, JM Kibii, SE Churchill, P Schmid, LR Berger. 2011. Australopithecus sediba hand demonstrates mosaic evolution of locomotor and manipulative abilities. Science 333 (6048): 1411-1417. DOI: 10.1126/science.1202625.
- Gibbons A. 2011. Skeletons Present an Exquisite Paleo-Puzzle. Science 333 (6048):1370-1372. DOI:10.1126/science.333.6048.1370.
- Science Friday 9 September 2011. Ira Flatow interviews Lee Berger and Bernard Wood on Au. sediba http://www.npr.org/2011/09/09/140337459/examining-ancient-fossils-for-clues-to-human-origins
- Cerling TE, Wynn JG, Andanje SA, Bird MI, Korir DK, Levin NE, Mace W, Macharia AN,
Quade J, and Remien CH. 2011. Woody Woody cover and hominin environments in the past
6 million years. Nature 476(51):online early release.
- Feibel CS. 2011. Anthropology: Shades of the savannah. Nature 476:39-40.
- Chris Organ, Charles L. Nunn, Zarin Machanda, and Richard W. Wrangham. Phylogenetic rate shifts in feeding time during the evolution of HomoPNAS 2011 ; published ahead of print August 22, 2011, doi:10.1073/pnas.1107806108.
- Roebroeks, W. & Villa, P. 2011. On the earliest evidence for habitual use of fire in Europe. PNAS 108: 5209–5214.