Information for Prospective Students
Acceptance to our graduate program depends as much on the fit between student and faculty interests as it does on student qualifications. We therefore recommend that prospective applicants become familiar with our areas of expertise prior to applying, know which of the four graduate programs they plan to enter (see the descriptions of the Masters and Doctoral programs on this site), and contact faculty members with whom they would like to work.
If you have questions about application procedures, please contact Kyla Welch, Administrative Officer to the Department of Anthropology, at (801) 581-6251. For academic questions, contact Professor Jack Broughton, Director of Graduate Studies, at (801) 581-8869.
Graduate Admissions to the University of Utah is done through the online ApplyYourself. In addition to the required information, please fill in or upload at the appropriate prompts:
- Name(s) of faculty members with whom you wish to work in your Statement of Purpose
- CV or resume
- 500-word Statement of Purpose outlining your professional objectives, including the persons on our faculty with whom you would like to work
- Copies of unofficial transcripts uploaded from each of your undergraduate institution(s).
- Self-reported results from the GRE General Test - there are no minimum GRE requirements
- Name and email addresses of three people from whom you are requesting letters of reference. We prefer that these be sent electronically (the University of Utah will contact them directly, using the email address you provide).
Admission Deadlines: Your application for graduate studies should reach the Department by December 29, 2017.